Swedish Massage - Washington, D.C. and DMV area
Swedish massage is the most popular type of massage in many Western countries, including the US.
It covers the whole body and aims to relax the muscles, help you unwind, and regain energy. Interestingly, Swedish massage has positive effects not only on the body but also on your mood and mental health.
Swedish massage is based on 5 basic strokes that include:
- Gliding (also known as ‘effleurage,’ used in the beginning of the session)
- Kneading (or ‘petrissage,’ resembling kneading dough)
- Tapping (‘tapotement,’ used to stimulate the body)
- Friction (that involves putting pressure on muscles)
- Vibration (involves shaking and trembling of smaller muscles).
Benefits of Swedish Massage
Swedish massage has become one of the most common massage types around the globe for a reason. Actually, for several reasons. Let’s take a closer look at them.
- Swedish massage is one of the best relaxation techniques. Whether you had a rough day or a heavy work-out, it will help your muscles relax and stimulate the blood circulation in your body. It also may help for better metabolism.
- This type of massage is beneficial for your mental health as well, helping you to unwind and release stress.
- Swedish massage is perfect for treating different kinds of injuries and helps the body get back on track much quicker.
- Also, it may help helpful for some diseases – from back pain and headache to asthma.
- It is safe for most categories of people. (Although, like for any kind of massage, you need to avoid eating or consuming alcohol right before getting one.)
How Swedish massage Is Performed
Before the massage, you need to take your clothes off. Normally, there are towels or sheets on the massage table that you can use to cover yourself. Although you are supposed to not have any clothes on, undressing can be up to your comfort level.
In the massage room, everything is set to help you relax – calm music, low light when possible, and candles are recommended. If you are up for a chat during the massage, most massage therapists will go along. Although if you want to focus on the massage, therapists will likely let you enjoy the process in quiet.
Swedish massage normally starts without lotion or oils, and after a few minutes, are introduced to the session. The lotion is applied with gliding strokes that cover your whole back and body. However, if you have any specific preferences or requests, the massage will be adjusted to your needs.
Most of the time, the massage takes 60-90 minutes. But again, it depends on how stiff your body is and what areas of your body need more time to unwind.
After the session, you may feel sleepy or very light and energetic. Both are normal and common. Since every massage I do is performed in the clients’ location ( home, hotel, or office), you can enjoy the warm feeling of relaxation without having to drive or walk back home.